- Provides a focus for members with an interest in or concern for wild plants and animals, as well as agricultural practices, in or near the River Otter
- Carries out wildlife surveys from time to time, either independently or in collaboration with other bodies
- Monitors the actions and publications of the Environment Agency and wildlife conservation bodies for this area.
The committee takes a practical interest in environmental projects in the Lower Otter Valley. A brief description of some of these projects is given below:
- Creation of a wildflower meadow
- Devon Water Vole Recovery Project
- Estuary clean-up (spring litter pick)
- Management of the Pebblebed Heaths
- Himalayan Balsam
- Climate change
- Birds of the Otter Eastuary - reference photo gallery, compiled by members
- OVA evidence submitted to the Glover Review of Landscape Designations - Dec 2018
Also we have published two full colour leaflets on the wildlife and flowers of the Lower Otter Valley.
Learn about the distinctive character of the Devon Redlands in which our area lies.